Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional doesn’t uphold the standard quality of care that results in injury, illness or death to a baby or mother. If a mother or baby experience injury during pregnancy, the birthing process or afterward it is usually due to a doctor failing to tell the mother of an abnormality or failure to diagnose a serious issue and botching surgical procedures related to the birthing process. Raposo & Lukacs has a team of experienced birth injury lawyers with the knowledge and resources to handle these cases.
Common Birth Injuries
- Failing to detect fetal distress
- Failing to treat fetal distress
- Using birthing tools wrong
- Using incorrect birthing tools
- Using improper delivery procedure/maneuvers
- Failure to monitor oxygen intake
- Failure to control oxygen intake
- Failing to perform an emergency cesarean
Common Maternal Injuries
- Failure to prevent hemorrhaging
- Failure to control hemorrhaging
- Failure to control perineal tearing
- Failure to treat preeclampsia
- Failure to diagnose maternal infections
- Failure to treat maternal infections
- Failure to diagnose maternal diabetes
- Failure to treat maternal diabetes
The most common scenario related to wrongful birth cases is that the doctor failed to alert the parents of fetal abnormalities. This usually occurs when the doctor doesn’t screen for abnormalities properly, forgets to issue the testing or fails to provide the parents with proper results.
Failure to Diagnose
Doctors generally have a strict protocol to follow when treating their patients. Specific tests are taken at various times during pregnancy. However, there are times when extenuating circumstances, inexperience or miscommunication occurs. This means patients can be misdiagnosed or not diagnosed with health risks such as the ones listed below.
- Maternal infections
- Placental issues
- Maternal diabetes
- Placenta previa
- Placental abruption
- Fetal abnormalities
- Uterine rupture
- Rh incompatibility
Prolapsed umbilical cord
If you have experienced any of the situations mentioned above, please contact Raposo & Lukacs today to make a free consultation to review your potential case.